Saturday, August 29, 2020
Ocean Speaks – How Marie Tharp Revealed the Ocean’s Biggest Secret
By Jess Keating; Illustrated by Katie Hickey
Published by Tundra Books, 2020.
An intriguing tale of feminism, scientific exploration, imagination, focus, and resilience." --Kirkus Reviews
If you love picture book biographies, you will love these books by Canadian author Jess Keating. Following up her biography of Eugenie Clark, Shark Lady, Keating delivers another story of a woman worth knowing about who might inspire more young women to pursue careers in science. Marie Tharp had to overcome many hardships in her pursuit of ocean studies. This is an excellent book for readers with curious minds and adventurous hearts!
Adrift at Sea
By Marsha Forchuk Skrypuck with Tuan Ho. Art by Brian Deines.
Published by Pajamapress, 2016.
This non-fiction picture book recounts Tuan Ho’s incredible journey from Vietnam to North America providing honest material for discussion with young readers. The artwork is absolutely stunning. Adults will appreciate the back material where Ho shares more of his story that led him to Saskatoon and then Toronto.
This award-winning picture book can be shared with school-aged children who will have many questions about the journey of many boat people from Vietnam.
Tuesday, December 11, 2018
Saturday, September 29, 2018
- Deanne Kuehn received $500 to add to her indigenous collection at the Treherne Elmentary School library.
- Carl Klassen received $300 to support Minnewasta School's Young Authors' Night.
- Gisele Rondeau received $300 for Western School Division's French support.
- Elm Creek Stay & Play Centre received $250 for new literacy materials for their nursery school and daycare.
- Jackie deVries and Nicky Spencer, teachers at Elm Creek School, each received $200 for their classroom libraries.
Elections were held at the Annual General Meeting in June, but some changes were necessary after job changes. We wish our outgoing president Barbara Penner all the best in her new school in Winnipeg. We welcome the following executive council:
President - Mary Reimer
Past-president - Barbara Penner, Lisa Carlson
Vice-president - vacant
Secretary - Suzanne Godard
Treasurer - Darlene Keith
Membership Director - Tara Janzen
Members at Large - Christine Wolf, Heather Armstrong, Deanne Kuehn, Mary Reimer, Angela Mills