Thursday, August 11, 2016

Apples With Many Seeds: Picture book Top 10 on the 10th - The World needs more Canada

Apples With Many Seeds: Picture book Top 10 on the 10th - The World needs more Canada

I am always looking for Canadian authors and Canadian picture books. Look at this gem! The blog mentions some of my favourite authors and characters: Stella and Sam from Marie-Louise Gay and Chester and Scaredy Squirrel from Melanie Watt. I like to have Watt's books in both English and French in my collection as I think it is a great way to promote reading in another language. (Also Dr Seuss books in French to promote reading!)

 I listened to Roy Henry Vickers speak in Winnipeg many years ago and have followed his art work since that time. I am going to add the Tomson Highway suggestions to my collection.

I can think of lots of opportunities to use O Canada by Ted Harrison and also his Sam McGee and Dan McGrew. I recall one of my ELA 40S students reciting Sam McGee. Having the picture book would have been a great addition to our experience.

What are your favourite Canadian picture books and authors?

Check out the #pb10for10 hashtag on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment